VideoGame Community!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

[This shit is not working Saibot!]

It Begins Again [Alice, Madness Returns Review]

Go down

It Begins Again [Alice, Madness Returns Review] Empty It Begins Again [Alice, Madness Returns Review]

Post by [Mr_Self_Destruct] Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:19 pm

[Over ten years ago, a game called American Mcgee's Alice came out and hit the PC gaming world by storm. And now, here we are in 2011, with a sequel that makes the first one feel like shit. Let us press on!]

[Alice, Madness Returns was a fantastic game for me. I'm going to get that out of the way. I am also going to get out of the way that this game is NOT for those who do not like platforming. You will be jumping in this game. A lot. Keep this in mind. For the rest of you interested, let us move on!]

[There are two things that immediately come to mind about this game. The first is the marvelous soundtrack. Dark, moody, proper in all the right places. This is the best soundtrack I have ever experienced on a game. I enjoyed nearly ever piece. Second, the level design is, for the better part of half of the game, fantastic. There will be bland, dull parts of the game when it comes to level design, but the first big part and the last big section all sported tremendous design aesthetics, some of which blew me away. I was reminded that we do indeed have great, unique level designers out there. People that push the boundaries. People that make breathtaking views that immerse us into the game. If you are tired of bland and boring maps from your games, games that are gray, gray, gray with a side of brown, play this game! ]

[Now, for a taste of the bad. The textures towards the end of my game did not load as quickly as they should have, some of the reality levels were a bit pasty in color, but those are short anyway. The game is split into six chapters, the last being a boss fight, and the first five being HUGE series of levels. Now, more good. Once you beat this game, you can replay any level at any time, retaining your shit, and able to choose from multiple places per chapter. There is even a new game plus file and some great DLC. For 2 dollars, you can purchase 6 costumes, all of which have special abilities, and an alternate version of each of your weapons, which also have special abilities. The 2 dollars will get you all six costumes and all 4 of the alternate weapons. Very nice buy! Did I mention the soundtrack was fucking awesome and the level design was borderline orgasmic at times? I did? Oh, well, I say it again then]

[It is important to note that the story isn't going to be enthralling, edge of your seat stuff. However, it is unique and it takes place 10 years after the first Alice game, which is, in itself, an fanfiction addition to the official Alice in Wonderland books. If this sounds appealing, I urge you to play this game. Now, the battle system is hack and slash at the core, but you will not be fighting things all that often. 20 percent of the game involves combat, allowing for the other 80 percent of the game to immerse you in the maddening world that Alice has created. As if this was not sweet enough, this game also allows you to download an updated version of the original Alice game for free, provided you have the voucher code, which comes with each copy of the game. This will allow you to play the original game, via the Alice 2 menu, complete with added trophies and improved graphic textures. If you do not have a voucher, the game will run you 9.99 USD. Still fairly cheap!]

[Overall, I would say this is one of the most creative games to come out in the last decade. I really, really enjoyed my time peeking through The Looking Glass one more time. I really recommend this game to Alice fans, fans of dark themes, and to those seeking a unique experience, and also those who enjoy platformers. And now, if you will excuse me, I must return, for it is always Tea Time in Wonderland] -AT9-

OVERALL SCORE - 8.5
[New Game+ file and the ability to replay chapters at many different points makes up for the long, drawn out chapters. Great music and level design. Battles are not constant and do not take away from the fun. Many nooks and crannies to explore]

BREAKDOWN SCORES
Sound - 10
Graphics - 8.5
Controls - 8
Replay Value - 8
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Admin of The Skies]
[Admin of The Skies]

Character sheet
Test Game:

Back to top Go down