VideoGame Community!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

[This shit is not working Saibot!]

JRPGs, Linearity and Grinding

3 posters

Go down

JRPGs, Linearity and Grinding Empty JRPGs, Linearity and Grinding

Post by Saibot01 Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Saibot01
Saibot01
[Moderator]
[Moderator]

Character sheet
Test Game:

http://randomsquad.com

Back to top Go down

JRPGs, Linearity and Grinding Empty Re: JRPGs, Linearity and Grinding

Post by [Mr_Self_Destruct] Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:03 am

[I see no problem with grinding being an element in a game. If it's not broken, don't fix it. This person clearly disagree's with the elements in JRPGs, so instead of trying to get the games changed that WE like, why not ask him to fuck himself? Just a thought. Anyway, I'll read the rest of that MAMMOTH article a bit later, because I am intrigued further]
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Admin of The Skies]
[Admin of The Skies]

Character sheet
Test Game:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:21 am

I see where the article is coming from, I really do. The author is mad because when he picks up an RPG title, it usually isn't actually an RPG, it's some linear storyline where you simply aren't strong enough to fight the boss at the end of the level unless you spend hours training along the way.

Usually when I get to the bad guy at the end of the path, I've done quite enough 'grinding' and I can take him just like any other battle (EX Golden Sun, Pokémon, Rogue Galaxy), but that's not because I stood in the same room for a day and a half, fighting off endless hordes of baddies, it's because I've explored every dungeon for any sign of treasure or an oddity or something like that. Lots of games have hidden treasures that can really help if you just look around like you've dropped all of your gold on the floor (Golden Sun and Pokemon reward you in similar ways, but also Final Fantasy games and I'm sure that every game has some random object waiting to be discovered).

Playing a game isn't supposed to be about rushing right through and getting done a few hours early. This article made me feel like it's bad for a game to consume my time and ask me to train for a while. I feel like Josh Tolentino's 'Grind' is a misnomer for what the rest of the world sees as 'Enjoyment.' If it's linear, you're not doing it right.

Back to top Go down

Post by [Mr_Self_Destruct] Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:48 am

[Every single Final Fantasy game from the Soft days are designed to be beaten without needing to level up. If you don't believe me, let me know and I'll shame you in front of everyone with the facts on how to do it]
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Admin of The Skies]
[Admin of The Skies]

Character sheet
Test Game:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moses Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:37 am

Meh. Depends on what game it is on if I care I am grinding or not.

No I didn't read the article.
Moses
Moses
[Moderator]
[Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:11 pm

That's the other thing, you should be able to beat anything even if you're much weaker than it is. Final Fantasy sets you up in groups, often against singular opponents. Persona 3 gives you four group members, and most groups of shadows come in either ones or twos. If you really can't figure out how to kill one level 80 Pokemon with six level 40's, you're not using an effective strategy. I've gone through the Elite Four hundreds of times using only Lv 30 or so Pokes, just because I want to see how low I can go. RPGs are usually more about strategy than grinding. This author is just a whore.

Back to top Go down

Post by [Mr_Self_Destruct] Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:27 am

ShamelessCrimes wrote: RPGs are usually more about strategy than grinding. This author is just a whore.

[I love you Shameless] :3
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Admin of The Skies]
[Admin of The Skies]

Character sheet
Test Game:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down