VideoGame Community!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

[This shit is not working Saibot!]

[Hearing The Experience]

Go down

[Hearing The Experience] Empty [Hearing The Experience]

Audio has been an important part of the colossal machine we call the video game experience. Even more these days, with nearly every game filled with in-game voices and cinema lurking around every corner. DTS, Dolby Digital 7.1, even standard Stereo output. SCART, HDMI, the tech is seemingly endless. But for all the audio hardware games now support, are we truly getting an experience that compliments that hardware?

Sure, the sound effects have a huge focus, and those can be downright awesome. However, I have noticed that it has become exceedingly rare for a game's music to not only wow me, but to even stand out period. Even RPGs, which have a heavy emphasis on musical scores to assist in bringing out more emotion to a given scene, are starting to suffer drastically, as if the composers aren't spending more than a month per game, and just sorta throw everything together in a generic Chinese-to-go box. Even Star Ocean 4, my favorite RPG from this generation, has a sub-par musical score. In fact, the only new gen game I've played that impressed me with the music was a game I hated; Resonance of Fate.

On the other hand, games like Paper Mario for the N64 blow me away each time I play them. Don't think PM covers a lot of different ground? Beat chapter 6. Every piece is masterfully layered, giving an almost three dimensional representation of the landscape in form of sound. The layers are flighty, then airy, then happy, then mysterious, and for the final layer - dark. What's more, each score for each area in chapter 6 seem to precede each other. You can hear a touch of something in the first track, that makes itself more pronounced in the second track, until finally it becomes the main part of a later piece. They are all part of their own album, in their own right. One continuous, changing, flowing fountain of melody that soothes the soul.

If a game is truly fun to play everytime, does a masterful score that makes you shiver and shudder at times not add to the playability? I think it does. I hope the future has better scores. Scores that return us to the days where the music and the gameplay complimented each other so much that they became one entity. If that day comes, I'll be sure to get some DTS equipment. -Astro-
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Admin of The Skies]
[Admin of The Skies]

Character sheet
Test Game:

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

[Hearing The Experience] :: Comments

Moses

Post Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:18 am by Moses

Well music and musical tastes are subjective. One person maybe blown away by emotional and powerful music score, but another person with the same game may find it ho-hum.

Back to top Go down

[Mr_Self_Destruct]

Post Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:31 pm by [Mr_Self_Destruct]

[This is true, but you can still tell when a soundtrack isn't 'fleshed out.' I haven't heard a lot of people brag about the scores of their games in years]

Back to top Go down

Moses

Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:41 am by Moses

Well they normally still do in a game's "making of" discs and/or video.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum