VideoGame Community!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

[This shit is not working Saibot!]

PlayStation 2 [Still Kicking ass and Taking names!]

Go down

PlayStation 2 [Still Kicking ass and Taking names!] Empty PlayStation 2 [Still Kicking ass and Taking names!]

[You know, I'm honestly amazed sometimes what the PS2 can do. It was first released in 2001, before anyone had thought of or invented HD. So why is it that I recently used 3rd party software to tweak the PS2 memory dump into playing my PS2 games in full 1080i resolution?]

[Yes, that's what I said. You didn't read it wrong. Of course, to some this may not seem like that big of a deal. But for us techs and gamers, It's an amazing feat. If you have an HDTV, then you KNOW what older games look like on it - shit. Not very cool, knowing that it looks somewhat worse than on an SDTV in some ways, including blurring. That's because that PS2 games were designed to play on SDTV's from the beginning, but gradually had features added to support future resolutions and technologies. Sony touts the PS2 as a 'ten year console' and they aren't incorrect. The inclusion of Component and DTS technology certainly has kept it going, and the obscenely large processor [300 Mhz processor AND a 300 Mhz GSx, HUGE for a console in 2001, everyone thought Sony was out of their minds] has allowed for tweaking of the output]

[To put it more simply, 480i/p resolution is not designed for HD displays. There's so many pixels in an HD display, and so small of a res for 480, that the picture is spread across more pixels than it is supposed to be, resulting in enlarged 'blocky' frames]

[So, if we tell the PS2 to load the image in a direct manor that conforms to an HD format, it will place the image directly over the pixels, lining them up like dots on a grid, resulting in not only a much sharper image, but also one that is true widescreen. It should be noted that people tend to confuse HD formatting and true HD very frequently. Playing an old movie on your HDTV doesn't make it an HD movie. It just means you're playing it on an HD format. The same goes with PS2 games. PS2 games were NOT created in HD, but they can be played in HD format, and will generally look better that way]

[In closing, whenever you play something SD on your HDTV, it will look better if it is upconverted to fit an HD format. It lines up with the pixels on the screen, instead of hovering sloppily over them unevenly. If you want to start upconverting your PS2 games into HD formats, you will need Free Mcboot and Ulaunch ELF in order to launch the actual program. The program is called GSMode Selector, and can be found on various PS2 app websites, the best being sksapps.com BEAR IN MIND! You will NEED Component cables for your PS2 in order to do HD formats. YOU NEED THEM! If anyone has any questions, just ask me, and I'll do my best to help. Until next time, Game on everyone! -Astro9-

[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Admin of The Skies]
[Admin of The Skies]

Character sheet
Test Game:

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

PlayStation 2 [Still Kicking ass and Taking names!] :: Comments

Moses

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:20 pm by Moses

I don't even play the PS3 in HD.

Back to top Go down

[Mr_Self_Destruct]

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:08 pm by [Mr_Self_Destruct]

[ I know :3]

Back to top Go down

Captain Black Beard

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:08 am by Captain Black Beard

Moses wrote:I don't even play the PS3 in HD.
0_0 You have no idea what you're missing!

Back to top Go down

[Mr_Self_Destruct]

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:24 am by [Mr_Self_Destruct]

[lol not worth it Beard. She's heard me rant about it too much]

Back to top Go down

Captain Black Beard

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:32 am by Captain Black Beard

You and your mouth.

Back to top Go down

[Mr_Self_Destruct]

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:48 am by [Mr_Self_Destruct]

[Yes]

Back to top Go down

Moses

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:05 pm by Moses

Captain Black Beard wrote:
Moses wrote:I don't even play the PS3 in HD.
0_0 You have no idea what you're missing!

I actually do.

Back to top Go down

Angel

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:34 am by Angel

Plox, do tell me exactly how to do this and what I need! I've tried playing Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame 2 on the PS2 on my HDTV, but it looks like crap! Can abrely see anything, it's so blurry! And the colors are overall fucked up... (don't know if this has anything to do with the colors though).

But please, HD-on-PS2-guru, halp meh!

Back to top Go down

[Mr_Self_Destruct]

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:03 am by [Mr_Self_Destruct]

[Well, you need to keep in mind that not all games are compatible with this feature. In fact, so far the only games that worked in 1080i were Persona 3 and 4, but I haven't tested a lot of games yet. Now, before we go farther, you need to try and hold Triangle and X when you first load your PS2 games, right when the 'PlayStation 2' logo is going to come up. Some PS2 games support progressive scan, and if they do, holding Triangle and X will make a screen come up to ask you if you want to enable it. Now, if this doesn't apply to those games, or you decide you'd rather do the HD upconvert...]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[Use this link. It has DL links for the program itself, which is called GameModeSelector. The link also has a huge, in depth tutorial on how to use it. It may seem complicated at first, but it's really not that bad. You will need FreeMCboot, which I'm assuming you have, and ULaunchELF, in order to run GMS. You must keep in mind, this will NOT be perfect HD. It will look a lot better than 480i, in my opinion, and I love playing PS2 games in 16:10 and 16:9 widescreen. Remember, if you put it in 1080i, and the TV shows it's in 1080 but your game is a box shape, that means the game is not compatible with the 1080 upconvert, so try 720p or 480/570p scans instead. Since you're in another country, you might actually be using the PAL standard, which is 570. 480p is only optimal in countries that use the NTSC and U/C region codes]

Back to top Go down

Angel

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:59 am by Angel

Sweden (Europe) uses PAL, indeed. And no, I do not have FreeMCboot =O

Back to top Go down

[Mr_Self_Destruct]

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:49 am by [Mr_Self_Destruct]

[...ho boy....If you're absolutely sure you want to learn to use FreeMCboot, talk to me on MSN]

Back to top Go down

[Mr_Self_Destruct]

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:40 pm by [Mr_Self_Destruct]

[Disclaimer! I said PAL was 570i/p, I fucked up. It is 576i/P. Wanted to clear that up]

Back to top Go down

Moses

Post Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:13 am by Moses

Zomg my life is a lie!

Back to top Go down

[Mr_Self_Destruct]

Post Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:05 am by [Mr_Self_Destruct]

[GASP! What can we do MOsEs?]

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down