VideoGame Community!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

[This shit is not working Saibot!]

Video Game Reviews

4 posters

Go down

Video Game Reviews Empty Video Game Reviews

Post by Saibot01 Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:25 pm

Reviews for video games are always a difficult topic. How reviews should be, what reviews should be, where reviews should be, all these are question that 1000 different gamers would probably answer differently. So let us talk about them a bit!

I think the two most important issues are the score scale (in the case of reviews that use a score) and what is actually evaluated.

Review Score:
If you follow game reviews you will soon notice that in many case not 5 (or equivalent) is the score for average games, but 7 (or equivalent). "Average" (that means diverting but very unspectacular games) tend to get a 6 or 7 instead of the 5 they would deserve by simple Earth logic. By the same token, fans of a certain game can easily go berzerk over a 7 for their games, although a 7 should mean that the game is clearly good entertainment, worthwhile and in no way wasted money. Nonetheless, people treat it as if the game had been put on the same level as the new Barbie's Dream Ranch game.

Game Reviews are for Gameplay ...?
A problem that is getting "worse" is that, the more different ideas and approaches video games try, the harder it becomes for journalists to know what to review about a given game. Back in the beginning, when video games were still young, one largely only had gameplay to go on. It made sense, you evaluated how much fun actually playing the game brought. Today, games can be much more than simply mashing on buttons, learning routines, trying out tactics and being happy when the victory fanfare played. Today, games can have incredible soundtracks, with song that could be (and are) played in world-renowned orchestras, atmospheres that use interactivity like no other medium could and plots that can rival the greatest contemporary storytelling in other mediums.

So what to do, with a game that presents one with horrible gameplay, but the most deep and gripping plot you have ever seen?
Review it on its merits?
Or on its failures?
On gameplay, just because it is a game?
A mix of all? But does "a mix of all" show the true worth of the game?
Saibot01
Saibot01
[Moderator]
[Moderator]

Character sheet
Test Game:

http://randomsquad.com

Back to top Go down

Video Game Reviews Empty Re: Video Game Reviews

Post by Moses Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:31 pm

"A 8.5!!!! WHAT THE FUCK THIS GAME IS GREAT! IT DOESN'T DESERVE SUCH A BAD SCORE!"
Moses
Moses
[Moderator]
[Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post by [Mr_Self_Destruct] Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:07 pm

[I believe that, with a talented journalist, you can capture what is great and what isn't so great about a game by covering all of the variables. I prefer this method to rolling it up into a single score for the gameplay itself. I find it more detailed and informative. As you said, games these days can have robust, flavored soundtracks and a full visual experience. Games are the combination of books and movies, the best of both worlds]
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Admin of The Skies]
[Admin of The Skies]

Character sheet
Test Game:

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Black Beard Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:54 am

I'm with AT9 on this one. I like to make different scores for each area of the game "Ex; graphics, game-play, story, ect." Then what I like to do is get a quick average for my overall score. I can't stand just guessing a number for everything the game has to offer. I think it dulls the rating system.
Captain Black Beard
Captain Black Beard
[Admin of the seas]
[Admin of the seas]

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down