VideoGame Community!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

[This shit is not working Saibot!]

[The Transformation of Console Gaming]

Go down

[The Transformation of Console Gaming] Empty [The Transformation of Console Gaming]

I've been sitting here for a while, glancing at my various consoles I've collected over the years. 2 Sega Genesis [second model] and a Sega 3, an SNES, the classic NES, a PS2, a few PSones [which are now in console heaven T_T], a N64 [sold the other one], a Gamecube and a shiny new PS3. With plans to get the other two new-gen consoles, I've been looking at my older ones fondly, and thinking of how much the consoles themselves have really transformed over the years. If you're of mind, I'd like to share my observations with you.

I remember my first video game system. In fact, I'm not sure I'll ever forget it. It was a Sega Genesis, Second edition model. No toggle switch on the side, just a power button, a reset button and a series of three vertical lights to indicate power when it was turned on. The controllers were Serial, the sockets that you plugged them into bore several long pins that drilled into the plug of the controller wiring. Very stiff, making it difficult to remove them at times.

HOW DID YOU PLAY THE GAMES?
You grabbed the 16-Bit cartridge and pushed it firmly into the slot of the console deck. You could NOT have the console on while doing this. Once you had the cartridge in the slot, and made sure it was seated properly, you pushed the power button and fired up the game. The BIOS didn't show itself; as soon as you turned on the console it immediately loaded the game, with nothing in between. There were a few games that allowed you to save your data, and it was directly to the cartridge.

WAS IT DURABLE?
Moving the console while the game was on was...very unrecommended. Games would freeze if you sneezed too close. Beyond that, the console wasn't too weak, but it was no strongman. The cartridges were pretty durable.

After a while, I had an SNES. Great system. Loved it. The controllers were a lot easier to plug and unplug, not to mention the controllers had more buttons. Hellz yeah to the beginning of the X and Y buttons!

Same as the Sega Genesis. Pop that game in the slot and boot her up. Pulling the cartridge out of the SNES wasn't exactly healthy for it, however, without using the eject lever, which easily popped the cartridge right out. The SNES also booted games up immediately. A few more games allowed for in-game saving, and they also went directly to a battery on the cartridge.

WAS IT DURABLE?
Fuck yes. The SNES was a fucking tank. I mentioned the fact that the cartridges were hard to remove without using the eject lever. That's because the cartridges were held TIGHTLY in place to avoid game glitches and freezes if the console was to be moved. While you couldn't pick the SNES up and shake it in the middle of gameplay, it certainly improved it's ability to keep the game glitch free from minor movements. Also, pop was spilled into my first SNES, and it kept on playin' with no problems. God bless ya amigo! [My first SNES is also in console heaven T_T]

Several years went by. Finally, oh yeah! 3D movement time! The Nintendo 64 was groundbreaking. For the first time on Nintendo, you had full 3D movement and full 3D camera views. The analog stick was born.

Same as the SNES and Genesis. No eject lever this time. Cartridges were easily pushed in and pulled out, and once pressed in the system gripped the cartridge pretty well. You still couldn't turn the system on until a game was in, and when you turned it on with a game loaded into the deck, it was automatically loaded with no in-betweens. This time however, the controller had A LOT of buttons, making a vast improvement over the previous consoles by offering a lot more buttons for game developers to map their control schemes to. However, the games were so much bigger and complex, there was simply too much data to be stored on the cartridge. For the first time, Nintendo gamers found themselves shelling out cash for Memory cards.

HOW DURABLE WAS IT?

Pretty durable. Cartridges were solid. I remember a time when several of my friends and I were at a kid's house back when we were all in Elementary school. Long story short, a freak accident occured with a squirt gun getting shot through the window, with the water landing DIRECTLY into the grill of the N64 WHILE it was running. Smoke and a nasty sizzling sound emulated through the room. The system was quickly shut off amidst the cussing, and later was turned back on. No damage done. System could be moved a fair amount without any freezing.

Ah, now on to the PlayStation slim. <3
At first, the PlayStation was a 32 Bit, 3D side scroller with no analog sticks at all, and a slightly uncomfortable controller. Then the PSone model was released, and it all changed. The PlayStation became Nintendo's true rival. The controller became a very comfortable beast sporting TWO analog sticks, one for the movement and one for the camera angles, SMASHING Nintendo's four-button configuration for camera usage and making them cry like babies. Both sticks had the same design and were spaced a few inches across from each other. There were technically more buttons on the PSone controller, since I don't count the C buttons on the 64 controller as actual 'gameplay' buttons, but as camera buttons.

Ah, the first true change in technology. Games were now on CD ROMs, meaning special care had to be given to them that had never needed to be done with cartridge games. However, the CD ROM technology allowed for a lot of things, like CG graphics and other computer generated things. The PSOne marked the first huge step towards making video games and the consoles that played them computerized. Since the PlayStation had a laser for CD Roms, this allowed for music CD's to also be played on the console. You could turn the system on WITHOUT a game inside. It would boot into a BIOS that gave you an option to select the Music player, or even check out and manage the data on your Memory cards. You could go back and forth between these things, and even pop in your game while doing it and your game would load right up. If you turned your system on with a game already loaded onto the pivot and the lid closed, the game would boot up automatically and bypass the BIOS options.

HOW DURABLE WAS IT?
Pretty darn durable, actually. The discs only seemed to fall to fingerprints, which were easily wiped away with a T-shirt and a little old fashioned breath. The system could actually be moved quite a bit while running a game without any adverse effects, though it was still frowned upon. The controller was not only VERY durable, but also the most durable of that Generation of console controllers. The console itself wasn't a tank, but it could take a LOT of abuse. Still not as much as the N64.
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Mr_Self_Destruct]
[Admin of The Skies]
[Admin of The Skies]

Character sheet
Test Game:

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

[The Transformation of Console Gaming] :: Comments

[Mr_Self_Destruct]

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:50 pm by [Mr_Self_Destruct]

[THE GENERATION OF THE PLAYSTATION 2 AND NINTENDO GAMECUBE]

Ah, now times were changing. The dawn of the PS2 and Nintendo Gamecube showed the first look at where gaming was headed. The consoles were VERY different, in the fact that the BIOS was vastly more expansive. For the first time ever, players could boot up their systems to a pretty large number of options, and never once had to put in their game to use these options. The PS2 obviously had the edge. It was highly computerized, and unlike the Gamecube it could play Music CDs AND DVD movies!!! Holy snap Batman!
With the PSone, Sony asked themselves "if the PSone has a CD laser, why not add music CD support?" And with the new PS2, which had it's games stored on the big and heavy duty DVD, they asked themselves "If it has a DVD laser, why not give it DVD movie support?" To keep this to a minimum, You could watch your DVD movies, play your music CDs, Play your PS2 games, and TADA! Play your PSone games as well! Memory cards were still used, and you could view the contents of your memory card anytime you wanted. You had an internal clock, disc speed settings and even more. To top it off, with some software modding you could add just about any program you wanted to the BIOS! All of this without ever putting your game in. And in an even cooler turn of events, if you put in your game after you had booted up the BIOS, the computer waited for you to tell it to boot it up, rather than do it automatically.

The GameCube lacked the DVD and musical CD support, due to the small optical media used, but had just about every other option the PS2 BIOS did. Controllers were generally the same with the number of buttons, and now the Cube had a second analog controller.

WERE THEY DURABLE?
Definitely. Freezing your games from moving the consoles was practically impossible, unless you grabbed your system and shook it up and down vigorously. Solid controllers generally speaking. Solid as fuck systems.

[TO THE NOW]

And now here we are with the new gen consoles. When you fire up the systems, you are given almost every single motherfuckin' option a computer can give you. We are gaming on unique computer systems these days. You can STORE, listen and watch just about any type of media you want without ever starting up your game. You can play your games ONLINE! You can surf the internet. You can download from the internet. You can talk to your friends, chat it up and everything. And with the PS3 in particular, whose games are on Blue Ray, Sony asked the Million dollar question yet again. "Since it has a blue ray laser, why not add Blue Ray movie support?" Thank you Sony. Pull out your pecker, I'll start sucking now. *Has someone else do it secretly*
AHEM! So, that's the world we live in now. You don't just boot up your game anymore. Controllers are wireless. The putrid stench of motion control is in the air, making me vomit. Data is saved to a harddrive. And finally, backwards compatibility is completely shitty.

Well, I hope you enjoyed my article on the transformation of games, specifically how we boot up our games these days, compared to back then. You know, it may sound strange, but I find myself missing the old days a little. There was a man I once talked to a few years back in '07. We were talking about the PS3, and he asked me why it was so expensive, and I talked about all the features it had. He said something after that day that has always stuck with me. "It's a video game system! I don't want it to suck my dick and do my dishes, I just want it to play my games!" As humorous as this may sound, I think he does have a point. A very valid one. -Astro-

Last edited by [AstroCreep] on Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Moses

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:17 am by Moses

Holy fuck tl:dr.

Back to top Go down

[Mr_Self_Destruct]

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:54 am by [Mr_Self_Destruct]

[Heh, I take that as a compliment MOsEs] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:10 am by K1llerL0mbaX

agreed very long... but with that said i did in fact read every word of it and i tip my hat to you sir *tip* very well done

Back to top Go down

Chaos

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:51 am by Chaos

Great as always. The length of a post is not important so long as you don't stick to small unimportant details for a while which you did not. You had just the right amount of everything ^_^ Thinking you should maybe throw a blog on this site for your writing skills.....

Chaos Out

Back to top Go down

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:53 am by K1llerL0mbaX

o.O........ AGREED!!!

Back to top Go down

[Mr_Self_Destruct]

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:24 am by [Mr_Self_Destruct]

[You guys] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Chaos

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:33 am by Chaos

Just saying everything I have read so far from you has been top notch. Easily beating those found on other gaming based sites about the same topics. Gamespot has nothing on you.

Back to top Go down

[Mr_Self_Destruct]

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:00 pm by [Mr_Self_Destruct]

[I am not used to being praised so highly by my peers]

Last edited by [AstroCreep] on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Magicalgnome

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:00 am by Magicalgnome

You should probably say *blog*

Back to top Go down

Chaos

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:54 pm by Chaos

Magicalgnome wrote:You should probably say *blog*

True I suppose. I meant more along the lines of a news feed than a blog so much but alas I was tired that day.

Back to top Go down

Captain Black Beard

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:49 pm by Captain Black Beard

I think we should give Astro his own journalism section on CH. Anyone else agree?

Back to top Go down

Moses

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:15 am by Moses

I want my own section of empty space.

Back to top Go down

[Mr_Self_Destruct]

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:02 am by [Mr_Self_Destruct]

[You can has your own corner!]

Back to top Go down

Saibot01

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:28 am by Saibot01

Captain Black Beard wrote:I think we should give Astro his own journalism section on CH. Anyone else agree?

Would make sense.

Back to top Go down

Chaos

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:11 am by Chaos

Captain Black Beard wrote:I think we should give Astro his own journalism section on CH. Anyone else agree?

AGREE!

Back to top Go down

Captain Black Beard

Post Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:19 pm by Captain Black Beard

@moses I have no problem with that...what do ya want to name it?

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down